CALL US TODAY: 415-988-2070

Miami Car Accident Injury lawyers inner banner

Who Pays My Medical Bills After a Miami Car Accident?

Car accidents are a tragic occurrence. Not only do they come with a lot of the pain, suffering, trauma, and inconvenience, but also due to the continued medical and healthcare procedures that might be required due to the severity of the accident.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

The state of Florida has enacted Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance laws for vehicle owners, making it a ‘no fault’ state. PIP laws ensure that car accident victims do not have to go through financial hardships when already undergoing the trauma of a car accident.

Medical Bills from a Miami Car AccidentFlorida state law mandates all drivers to carry PIP insurance of at least $10,000.Regardless of who caused the accident, a victim’s insurance provider pays any medical bills following an accident. It is important to note that the PIP insurance may not cover all medical bills and expenses, depending on the severity of the accident and the level of medical attention needed. PIP insurance pays only 80% of the amount of medical expenses.

So if you are involved and injured in an accident, and PIP pays 80% of your bill medical bills, then who pays the remaining 20%? This depends on the outcome and circumstances of an accident. If you were found at fault of an accident, then you would be responsible for the remaining 20% out of pocket. In some cases, your own health plan may cover the remainder.

Understanding Time Matters

One important thing to note when filing a PIP insurance claim is that you or the victim must receive medical treatment within fourteen days of the accident. After this fourteen-day window, PIP is no longer responsible for any medical bills or expenses related to the accident. It’s also important to note that in order to qualify and claim and receive compensation from PIP is the victim must suffer from a permanent injury, which must be advocated by his or her healthcare professional or physician.

If a third party was found at fault for the accident, then three situations arise. These situations greatly depend on the driver found at fault, and if that individual has insurance coverage. If he or she has insurance, then that insurance provider would likely pay for your medical expenses. If the driver does not have insurance, then he or she would likely be responsible for your medical expenses out of his or her own pocket.

What happens if both the faulted driver’s insurance company or the driver him or herself avoid paying your medical expenses? Then it is time to see a professional and experienced Miami car accident attorney.

Contact a Car Accident Injury Lawyer

If you or a loved one has suffered injury due to an accident in the state of Florida, a personal injury attorney can help reach a proper and fair settlement and compensation for damages, injuries, and medical expenses sustained from the accident.

A competent Miami car accident lawyer from our firm can ensure that you receive the justice that you rightfully deserve. Contact us today for an initial consultation and find out how we can help today.